Tag Archives: testing

Mini Trangia and winterizer at -32.6 C

About a year ago, I tested my home made winterizer for the Mini Trangia alcohol stove at –25 C (-13 F). To my great surprise, my “not good at really cold weather” Trangia managed to boil 500 ml of +4 C (+39 F) water in about 7 minutes, mainly due to the help provided by my DIY winterizer.

Since then, it has been ridiculously warm, and now was my first opportunity to try to find the limits for an alcohol fueled stove.

So, this is how it went. First, I left the stove and the fuel outdoors at -32.6 C (-26.7 F), and 500 ml of water into the fridge for overnight.

In the following morning, I loaded sthe stove and soaked the wick of the winterizer with -32 C alcohol (Note to self: Do not spill it on to your fingers. It is damn cold!). Despite the syrup like behaviour of the cold alcohol, lighting up the alcohol soaked wick was very, very easy. However, due to the 5 m/s wind, it took albout 13 minutes to bring the water to boiling. Therefore, I repeated the experiment using a simple windscreen made out of fire retardant fabric.

With the windscreen, the boiling time was reduced to 9 minutes and 40 seconds.

As conclusion, with a proper protection from the wind, an alcohol burning stove (with DIY winterizer) still works beautifully at -32 C !

As soon as the good old -40 to -50 winter days (hopefully) return, I’ll test and report whether there really are any limits for my little Trangia stove.

Mini Trangia DIY Winterizer test at -25 C

 

A little while ago I made a pre-heater for my Mini Trangia stove. Initially, I was able to test it at -12.5 C temperature, and was pretty happy with the results (500 ml of water from +4 C to boiling in 7 minutes and 39 seconds).

Now, the winter finally seems to kick in, and it is time to test what the winterizer is good for.

To begin the test, I left the Trangia stove and a bottle of fuel outdoors for overnight, and some water into the fridge. In the morning, the temperature was -25 C. Not as cold as I was hoping for, but so far the coldest weather during this winter anyway. So, I filled up the stove, and soaked the glass wool wick of the winterizer with -25 C alcohol, and stroke a match. The ignition was kind of lame, but easy and instantaneous anyway. Next I poured 500 ml of +4 C water into the Trangia pot, placed it (with the lid on) on to the stove, and prepared myself for a long wait.

To my pleasant surprise, after mere seven minutes and six seconds the water was boiling merrily. That was over 20 seconds faster than in my first test run at -12.5 C! How could that be? When comparing the conditions of the two tests, in addition to the difference in the temperature, the only remaining variable of any significance was the wind, which, during the first test wasn’t particularly strong, but strong enough to slightly disturb the flame and to cool down the pot a little bit, whereas during the second test the wind was hardly noticeable.

The test results confirmed the general belief that a good wind protection is essential for successful cooking with camping stoves, but more importantly, the results proved that my DIY winterizer works beautifully even at -25 C temperature. I can’t wait for the arrival of really cold weather to test the winterizers limits (if there are any).